Renting an Off-Campus Apartment
Kunitachi City, where Hitotsubashi University is located, is a very popular residential area in Tokyo. For this reason it is hard to find an inexpensive and convenient apartment near the university. The rent for even a 20-square-meter room with a small kitchen, a bathroom (shower), and a toilet is 40,000 to 50,000 yen per month.
If you find an apartment through a real estate agency, you usually have to pay a commission equal to 1 month's rent to the agency, and a security deposit equal to 1 to 2 months' rent (which will be returned unless you damage the room) and "key money" equal to 1 to 2 months' rent (which will not be returned) to the landlord. In total, you will need the equivalent of 4 to 6 months' rent including the rent for the first month when you sign a lease. Since off-campus apartments are usually unfurnished, you will also need to buy furniture and electric appliances when you move in.
Hitotsubashi University Co-op(Japanese only) also provides housing services for students.
- For MEXT Scholarship Students
- For Privately Financed International Students
- For Exchange Students
- Procedures after entering Hitotsubashi University
- Request for a Certificate
- Information about Visas and Life in Japan
- Residence Status and Various Procedures
- Part-Time Jobs and Work Permit
- Map to Tachikawa Branch, Tokyo Regional Immigration Bureau
- National Health Insurance
- Renting an Off-Campus Apartment
- Student Discounts on Public Transportation (Gakuwari)
- Riding a Bicycle in Japan
- Alcohol Policy
- If a Major Earthquake Occurs...
- Support Services for International Students