Riding a Bicycle in Japan
A bicycle is an eco-friendly, convenient, and healthy means of transportation, but if you don't obey the traffic rules you may have or cause a serious or even fatal accident – don't make the mistake of thinking that bicycle accidents are trivial matters.
If you cause an accident while riding a bicycle, you will face criminal charges. If you injure somebody in the accident, you will also be liable to pay compensation for damages. There was once a case where a cyclist had to pay over 50 million yen in compensation for injury caused by a bicycle accident.
Please obey Japanese traffic rules and ride your bicycle safely.
- For MEXT Scholarship Students
- For Privately Financed International Students
- For Exchange Students
- Procedures after entering Hitotsubashi University
- Request for a Certificate
- Information about Visas and Life in Japan
- Residence Status and Various Procedures
- Part-Time Jobs and Work Permit
- Map to Tachikawa Branch, Tokyo Regional Immigration Bureau
- National Health Insurance
- Renting an Off-Campus Apartment
- Student Discounts on Public Transportation (Gakuwari)
- Riding a Bicycle in Japan
- Alcohol Policy
- If a Major Earthquake Occurs...
- Support Services for International Students