National Health Insurance
The National Health Insurance System
All international students is going to stay in Japan for more than 3 months are required to enroll in the National Health Insurance system (Students with a short-stay visa cannot enroll in the system). Subscribers to the system pay 30 percent of the medical expenses at a clinic or hospital for any medical and dental treatment covered by the system.
How to Enroll in the National Health Insurance System
Please enroll in the National Health Insurance system at your local city hall or ward office. If you are single and under 40 years old and had little or no income last year, your premium will be discounted to about 10,000 yen in Kunitachi City and about 9,000 yen in Kodaira City if you submit a form called "Kan-i-shinkoku-sho". From the following fiscal year, you will need to report your income to the city hall or ward office every year (February to March) to get the discount on your premium.
You will be notified of your premium and the due date of payment by postal mail every year. Please pay the premium by the due date, otherwise you will have to pay a delinquent charge. The insurance covers 70 percent of medical expenses. Do not forget to take your insurance card when you go to a clinic or hospital. Also, if you change your address, be sure to report the matter to the city hall or ward office. When you move to another city or ward, go to the city hall or ward office for the area of your new residence and enroll in the system once again. Please return your old insurance card to the city hall or ward office of your previous residence.
For further information, please check the website of the city hall or ward office where you are registered as a resident and complete the enrollment procedure.
- For MEXT Scholarship Students
- For Privately Financed International Students
- For Exchange Students
- Procedures after entering Hitotsubashi University
- Request for a Certificate
- Information about Visas and Life in Japan
- Residence Status and Various Procedures
- Part-Time Jobs and Work Permit
- Map to Tachikawa Branch, Tokyo Regional Immigration Bureau
- National Health Insurance
- Renting an Off-Campus Apartment
- Student Discounts on Public Transportation (Gakuwari)
- Riding a Bicycle in Japan
- Alcohol Policy
- If a Major Earthquake Occurs...
- Support Services for International Students