For MEXT Scholarship Students: Rules and Regulations
Confirmation of Presence
You must come to the Educational Affairs Division, Section 4 or Chiyoda Campus Administration Office once a month and sign a document to confirm your status as a student. If you fail to sign, you will not get paid your scholarship for that month.
There are 2 deadlines in each month.
|If you sign by the first deadline||→||You can receive the scholarship around the end of the month.|
|If you sign by the second deadline||→||You can receive the scholarship around the middle of the following month.|
|If you fail to sign||→||You can not receive the scholarship for that month.|
Amount of Scholarship for 2022
|Student Category||Monthly Scholarship|
|Undergraduate Students||120,000 yen|
|Research Students||146,000 yen|
|Master's Students||147,000 yen|
|Doctoral Students||148,000 yen|
|Young Leaders' Program Students||242,000 yen|
*You do not need to apply for a re-entry permit if you re-enter Japan within 1 year from the date of departure.
- For undergraduate MEXT scholars, please submit a "Temporary Leave Form" to the Educational Affairs Division Section 2.
- If you re-enter Japan with a visa status other than "Student," your scholarship will be suspended.
Extension of Scholarship
- In case an undergraduate student wishes to get into a graduate school, his/her GPA must meet the criteria set by the MEXT (you can see AY2022 guidelines on the MEXT website) [only in Japanese]. The number of MEXT Scholarship Extension's acceptance is limited, therefore, please keep in mind that all of the applicants can not always get approval of the extension.
- In case a research student wishes to get into a degree-seeking course of the graduate school, he/she can apply for the extension if you meet the requirements.
E.g.1) Student who arrived in Japan in April 2021
Course You Want to Enroll In Autumn 2021 April 2022 Autumn 2022 April 2023 ○ ○ ○ △ ※
E.g.1) Student who arrived in Japan in Autumn 2021
Course You Want to Enroll In April 2021 Autumn 2022 April 2023 ○ ○ △ ※
- In case Master's or Professional School Student wishes to go to a doctoral course, his/her GPA must meet the criteria set by the MEXT and he/she must complete his/her degree within the set period of study. The number of MEXT Scholarship Extension's acceptance is limited, therefore, all of the applicants can not always get approval of the extension.
Please refer to the following links about the 2022 MEXT Extension.
Traveling Allowance for Returning Home
MEXT scholars who are planning to return to their home countries after their scholarship payment period expire can apply for a return ticket provided by MEXT.
Please try to consult with the Educational Affairs Division Section 4 at least 45 days before you plan to leave if you will graduate in September, or by the middle of December if you will graduate in March. As a general rule, the Educational Affairs Division will notify the eligible students of details about the procedure.
In the following cases, you cannot apply for MEXT return tickets:
- When you do not return to your home country by the designated date
- When you do not apply for a return ticket by the specified date
- When you return to your home country in the middle of the period of the scholarship due to your individual reason
- When you continue to stay in Japan after the expiry of the scholarship payment period
(Travel allowance for your temporary return cannot be covered by MEXT.)
Transfer to Another University
In principle, recipients of a MEXT scholarship are not allowed to transfer to another university. It is only possible after consultation with the MEXT in cases where remaining at Hitotsubashi University would be exceptionally disadvantageous to the student. (If you were recommended by Hitotsubashi University as a recipient of a government scholarship, you will under no circumstances be allowed to transfer to another university.)
Declining a Government Scholarship
If you have to decline a government scholarship payment during the term of the scholarship please contact the Educational Affairs Division Section 4 as soon as you possibly can.
(e.g.) because of leaving Japan for a long term, taking care of your family, starting to work, and so on
Educational Affairs Division, Section 4
Please consult the MEXT website too.
- For MEXT Scholarship Students
- For Privately Financed International Students
- For Exchange Students
- Procedures after entering Hitotsubashi University
- Request for a Certificate
- Information about Visas and Life in Japan
- Support Services for International Students