Application to the Graduate School of Hitotsubashi University
As a Japanese Government (MEXT) Scholarship Recipient
In order to apply for graduate programs at Hitotsubashi University as a MEXT scholarship student for the 2023 academic year, you need to be selected as a preliminary candidate by the Japanese Embassy/Consulate General in your country. Submit your completed application form and supporting documents by e-mail and make sure to meet the deadline. You would not be accepted if you miss the application deadline.
Chinese candidates who are selected as preliminary candidates by the Japanese Embassy in China also have to follow the same prodedures.
Available majors and programs:
|Graduate School||Major||Course and Program|
|Graduate School of Business Administration||School of Business Administration||Master's Program, Researcher Training Course|
|Doctoral Program, Researcher Training Course|
|School of International Corporate Strategy||Doctoral Program, DBA Program|
|Graduate School of Economics||Economics||Master's Program|
|Graduate School of Law||Law and International Relations||Master's Program|
|Graduate School of Social Sciences||Institute for the Study of Social Sciences||Master's Program|
|Institute for the Study of Global Issues||Master's Program|
|Graduate School of Language and Society||Language and Society||Master's Program|
|School of International and Public Policy||Asian Public Policy Program||Professional Course（Research students cannnot be accepted）|
Application and Supporting Documents:
- Application Form：WORD／PDF
- Japanese Language Proficiency Evaluation Form B：WORD / PDF
*Ask your Japanese language teacher or instructor to evaluate your Japanese language proficiency.
- A set of photocopies of the documents submitted to the Japanese Embassy (description of educational background, certified academic records from the university attended and description of the field of study and study program, etc.).
- A photocopied Certificate of Preliminary Selection issued by the Japanese Embassy.
Please send the completed application form and supporting documents to a graduate school you are applying for by e-mail. In cases when it is difficult to access the Internet, the documents may be sent by postal mail.
[Sending by e-mail]
E-mail subject has to be “AY2023 Application Form for MEXT Scholarship Student”.
Please refer to the following e-mailing addresses.
・ Graduate School of Business Administration [Researcher Training Course]
・ Graduate School of Business Administration [DBA Program in International Corporate Strategy]
・ Graduate School of Economics
・ Graduate School of Law
・ Graduate School of Social Sciences
・ Graduate School of Language and Society
・ School of International and Public Policy [Research students cannnot be accepted.]
* Please send the email to a graduate school which you would like to enter and make sure to put the MEXT scholarship section <> in CC.
* The Graduate School will send you an e-mail notification of receipt after you have submitted your documents. If you do not receive the notification e-mail, please contact us.
[Sending by registered mail]
*Please write in red ink "Application Form for MEXT Scholarship Student" in the margin of the envelope.
Office of the [name of the graduate school*], Hitotsubashi University
2-1 Naka, Kunitachi City, Tokyo 186-8601, Japan
* The name of the graduate school should be one of the following:
- Graduate School of Economics
- Graduate School of Law
- Graduate School of Social Sciences
- Graduate School of Language and Society
*For those who apply for the Graduate School of Business Administration, please send the documents to the address below;
[Researcher Training Course]
Office of Graduate School of Business Administration
2-1, Naka, Kunitachi-schi, Tokyo 186-8601, JAPAN
[DBA program in International Corporate Strategy]
Chiyoda Campus Administration Office
National Center of Sciences
2-1-2 Hitotsubashi, Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo 101-8439, JAPAN
*For those who apply for the School of International and Public Policy, please send the documents to the address below;
Office of School of International and Public Policy
2-1, Naka, Kunitachi-schi, Tokyo 186-8601, JAPAN
Application Deadline: Friday, August 26, 2022 [JST]
* In case you send all required documents by registered mail, they must arrive at Hitotsubashi University no later than Friday, August 26, 2022. (For Chinese candidates, no later than Friday, October 14, 2022.)
Notification of Screening Result:
By Wednesday, September 28, 2022, (For Chinese candidates, by Friday, November 11, 2022) graduate school office will send a notification of screening result to each applicant by postal mail and by e-mail.
Frequently Asked Questions:
Q.1 If I cannot get the acceptance notice from Hitotsubashi University by the submittion deadline of the Japanese Embassy, what should I do?
A.1 The screening result will be informed to each applicant by Wednesday, September 28 (For Chinese candidates by Friday, November 11) by postal mail and e-mail from each graduate school. Please explain our screening schedule to the Japanese Embassy in advance, and submit a Letter of Provisional Acceptance to them as soon as the result reaches.
Q.2 I have not decided my academic advisor. Should I contact anyone under whom I want to study before the enrollment?
A.2 It is not necessary to contact professors, but we recommend checking the Hitotsubashi Researchers Information.
- Privately Financed Students
- MEXT Scholarship Students
- Exchange Students
- International Student Orientation