Application to the Graduate School of Hitotsubashi University
As a Japanese Government (MEXT) Scholarship Recipient
Due to the novel coronavirus infection, the schedule for application for graduate school of Hitotsubashi University as a Japanese Government (MEXT) Scholarship Recipient has been delayed by about three months compared to previous years. This means that Japanese Government (MEXT) Scholarship Recipients for 2021 will only come to Japan in the fall.
In order to apply for graduate programs at Hitotsubashi University as a MEXT scholarship student for the 2021 academic year, you need to be selected as a preliminary candidate by the Japanese Embassy/Consulate General in your country. Submit your completed application form and supporting documents by e-mail and make sure to meet the deadline. You would not be accepted if you miss the application deadline.
Chinese candidates who are selected as preliminary candidates by the Japanese Embassy in China also have to follow the same schedule. Chinese candidates who wish to enroll in April could apply only for Graduate School of Economics.
*Note Applicants cannot apply for the MBA program in the Department of International Corporate Strategy of the Graduate School of Business Administration.
Application and Supporting Documents:
- Application Form：WORD／PDF
- Japanese Language Proficiency Evaluation Form B：WORD / PDF
*Ask your Japanese language teacher or instructor to evaluate your Japanese language proficiency.
- A set of photocopies of the documents submitted to the Japanese Embassy (description of educational background, certified academic records from the university attended and description of the field of study and study program, etc.).
- A photocopied Certificate of Preliminary Selection issued by the Japanese Embassy.
Please send the completed application form and supporting documents to a graduate school you are applying for by e-mail. In cases when it is difficult to access the Internet, the documents may be sent by postal mail.
[Sending by e-mail]
E-mail subject has to be “AY2020 Application Form for MEXT Scholarship Student”.
Please refer to the following e-mailing addresses.
・ Graduate School of Business Administration [Researcher Training Course]
・ Graduate School of Business Administration [DBA Program in International Corporate Strategy]
・ Graduate School of Economics
・ Graduate School of Law
・ Graduate School of Social Sciences
・ Graduate School of Language and Society
* Please send the email to a graduate school which you would like to enter and make sure to put the MEXT scholarship section <> in CC.
[Sending by registered mail]
*Please write in red ink "Application Form for MEXT Scholarship Student" in the margin of the envelope.
Office of the [name of the graduate school*], Hitotsubashi University
2-1 Naka, Kunitachi City, Tokyo 186-8601, Japan
* The name of the graduate school should be one of the following:
- Graduate School of Economics
- Graduate School of Law
- Graduate School of Social Sciences
- Graduate School of Language and Society
*For those who apply for Graduate School of Business Administration, please send the documents to the address below;
[Researcher Training Course]
Office of Graduate School of Business Administration
2-1, Naka, Kunitachi-schi, Tokyo 186-8601, JAPAN
[DBA program in International Corporate Strategy]
Chiyoda Campus Administration Office
National Center of Sciences
2-1-2 Hitotsubashi, Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo 101-8439, JAPAN
Application Deadline: Friday, November 20, 2020 [JST]
* In case you send all required documents by registered mail, they must arrive at Hitotsubashi University by no later than Friday, November 20, 2020.
Notification of Screening Result:
Between Thursday, December 10, 2020 and Monday, December 21, 2020, graduate school office will send a notification of screening result to each applicant by postal mail and by e-mail.
Frequently Asked Questions:
Q.1 If I cannot get the acceptance notice from Hitotsubashi University by the submittion deadline of the Japanese Embassy, what should I do?
A.1 The screening result will be informed to each applicant from December 10 (Fri) to 21 (Mon) by postal mail and e-mail from each graduate school. Please explain our screening schedule to the Japanese Embassy in advance, and submit a Letter of Provisional Acceptance to them as soon as the result reaches.
Q.2 I have not decided my academic advisor. Should I contact anyone under whom I want to study before the enrollment?
A.2 It is not necessary to contact professors, but we recommend checking the Hitotsubashi Researchers Information.
- Privately Financed Students
- MEXT Scholarship Students
- Exchange Students
- International Student Orientation