FAQ(Before Arrival – Information for degree seeking and research students)


I want to study abroad at Hitotsubashi University. What do I need to do to enroll in an undergraduate program at the University?

Prospective undergraduate students are required to take the Entrance Examination for Privately Financed International Students. You must be a foreign national (someone who is not a Japanese citizen or permanent resident of Japan) and have completed twelve years of formal education outside of Japan. Application guidelines are released around September, applications are accepted around December, and the entrance examination is held in February. Follow the link below for details on the entrance examination.

I want to study abroad at a Hitotsubashi University graduate school. Could you tell me about the screening method and when entrance examinations are held?

Entrance examinations differ by graduate school. Applicants to most graduate programs are screened under the special screening system for students from abroad, but some programs screen applicants under the same system as Japanese applicants.  The format of entrance examinations also differs by graduate school. For details, refer to the admission guidelines on the relevant graduate school’s website. Follow the link below for a list of graduate schools and their websites.

I want to enroll as a research student (non-degree student). What conditions do I need to meet in order to apply?

To apply, you must meet the conditions stated in the application guidelines. If you think you meet the qualifications for admission, contact the Educational Affairs Division, 4th Division to request an application. Before entering the University, you should have a Japanese language proficiency equivalent to level N2 of the Japanese-Language Proficiency Test, which is administered by Japan Educational Exchanges and Services (or the Japan Foundation outside of Japan). Follow the link below for the latest application guidelines.

Can I contact the International Student and Study Abroad Advising Office to obtain information about admission to the University?

The International Student and Study Abroad Advising Office provides advice to international students currently enrolled at the University. The office does not provide services to non-students. The Entrance Examination Office handles requests for university brochures, so follow the link below to find out when application guidelines will be released and how to request a university brochure (in Japanese only).

I have been accepted to study abroad at Hitotsubashi University and would like to send my child to a school in Japan while I am enrolled. What should I do to prepare before I go?

At most public elementary and junior high schools in Japan, all classes are taught in Japanese except for English class, so if your child does not know Japanese they will have difficulty understanding the lessons. Contact the board of education of the area where you will be living to find out what kind of support is offered. (For example, the board of education of Kunitachi, where the main campus is located, provides Japanese language instructors to children 6 to 15 years old who have transferred to an elementary or junior high school in the city and require instruction in Japanese. However, if you will be staying in Japan for only a short period of time, or the language your child speaks would make providing support difficult, please talk with the school your child would be transferring to beforehand.)
Kunitachi City Website(For International Students with Children):

Does Hitotsubashi University have student residence halls?

Yes. admitted students will be informed of the residence hall application process via the Student Services Division ‘Accommodation section’. Follow the link below for an overview of our residence halls.

I would like to live in off-campus apartments. How could I find information? Is there place where I could consult in English?

We are not able to provide any housing related consultation at the Student Services Division ‘Accommodation section’, however, you can find a list of agents from the link below.

There are also services available in English (Some of the websites are in Japanese but you can contact them in English). Please make sure to allocate adequate time for your housing search so that you can find one that is fitted to your lifestyle.