Off-Campus Apartments

Off-Campus Apartments

Kunitachi City, where Hitotsubashi University is located, is a very popular residential area in Tokyo. For this reason it is hard to find an inexpensive and convenient apartment near the university. The rent for even a 20-square-meter room with a small kitchen, a bathroom (shower), and a toilet is 40,000 to 50,000 yen per month.

If you find an apartment through a real estate agency, you usually have to pay a commission equal to 1 month’s rent to the agency, and a security deposit equal to 1 to 2 months’ rent (which will be returned unless you damage the room) and “key money” equal to 1 to 2 months’ rent (which will not be returned) to the landlord. In total, you will need the equivalent of 4 to 6 months’ rent including the rent for the first month when you sign a lease. Since off-campus apartments are usually unfurnished, you will also need to buy furniture and electric appliances when you move in.

Hitotsubashi University Co-op (in Japanese) provides housing services for students.
TEL : 042-572-7818

Off-campus Housing Search Fair

Currently, there are no plans to hold this event.

List of agents for off-campus apartments

Services available in English, Chinese, and Korean

Services available in English

Services avainlable in Chinese

  • Minimini Jyousai Tachikawa Website

Services available with simple English (Just in case, please come to the shop with someone who speaks Japanese)


※For more information about off-campus apartments, please contact above agents directly. (Due to legal reasons, we cannot give any information about off-campus apartments at the Student Services Division)

When international students rent an apartment, they are required to have a guarantor. Hitotsubashi University does not act as a guarantor, so please ask an outside private company to act as your guarantor.

About private guarantor companies

Because the guarantor company dealt with by the owner or intermediary is different, please sign a contract with the guarantor company designated by the owner and real estate agent.
If you do not have a guarantor company designated by a landlord or a broker, you can also use a guarantee company affiliated with our university. There may be discount for students of our university, so please make sure to inquire.
Since guarantee fees and compensation contents vary, please ensure that you have sufficient information before the contract is drawn up.

Global Trust Networks  Homepage

Nihon Safety Co., Ltd.  Homepage

Hot Hosyou INC.  Homepage